Favorite Childhood Memories - A Piece of Me

This past week as many were celebrating Halloween I was reminded of one of my absolute favorite childhood memories.  When I was five years old I was trick or treating and I remember being so excited getting a rock, just like Charlie Brown did on "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" the cartoon.  I even recall what my costume was that first time I received a rock instead of candy. I was dressed up as a bride, with a white veil and all.  

When I was given the rock it was wrapped in foil (so I couldn't tell what it was).  That was back in the days when people made homemade treats, like popcorn balls, cookies or brownies and passed them out to all of the neighborhood kids... So, getting something wrapped in foil was not suspicious at all.    

When I got home and dumped out my pillow case.  Opening the foil treats was like opening Christmas presents.  When I opened my first rock I had an outburst of excitement and by this reaction you'd have thought it was made of GOLD!  I thought it was the coolest thing ever and I was as cool as Charlie Brown :)

I received a rock on Halloween for the next couple of years, until we eventually moved.  For several years I did not know where those rocks came from... I remember being a little bummed that I no longer got a rock in my pillow case once we had moved.  A few years later I found out that it was our old next door neighbor, who also babysat me, that gave me the rock each year.  Apparently my mom had told her how much I loved the cartoon and had given her the idea.

That memory is now over 40 year old and I still remember how excited I was receiving that first rock.  I remember what it looked like.  It was my favorite rock ever and was very unique.  It was full of holes which is not something normally seen on a rock.  I kept that rock for about 20 years and I don't think I've ever seen another rock of that same type.  Unfortunately during one of our moves to a new home I accidentally left it out in the garden.  It was not too large of a rock, otherwise I would not have been able to carry it around in my pillow case while out trick or treating... That silly rock was so special to me!  

The neighbor who gave it to me lives in Colorado now (we are in California) and I haven't seen her in about 25 years.. My parents still get together with her and her husband annually.  I think it's time that I to write her a handwritten note and let her know how special that gesture was (and still is) to me.  It's a memory I will always treasure!

The cartoon "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" originally aired on CBS in October of 1966, the year I was born (I can't believe I'm admitting that)...  CBS continued to air it each year through the year 2000.  In 2001 ABC picked up the rights to the cartoon and has aired it every year since. 

I continued the giving of the rock tradition with my daughters and also with a friends twin boys when they were younger.  I'm not sure they ever got quite as excited as I did when I received that first rock... But it is a memory that will last us all a lifetime!

What childhood memories or holiday traditions do you treasure?  I would love to hear your stories!

Until next time,
Blessings...

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all of your comments and I read every one... I'd love to hear from you!

Blessings,
Diana